Our very own Britt Abel (German Studies, Director of Writing), in collaboration with colleagues Lisa Stroschine, Jane Nesmith, and Angela Ziskowski (Coe College); Robert Hinck and Shweta Srivastava (Monmouth College); facilitated the workshop on assignment development.
The session was focused primarily on transparency and Universal Design for Learning (UDL). The slides and recording from that workshop can be accessed any time (the recording requires a Macalester College login).
Links and References from the Workshop (with some additions from the Serie Center)
- Assignment Design Checklist (developed by workshop facilitators)
- PDF version: https://tinyurl.com/ACM4PDF
- Being responsive to every student: Give students choices
- Academics should rethink the way they assign homework: Quantity is not rigor
- The “unessay” project
- Kristin Behling and Thomas Tobin. Reach Everyone, Teach Everyone: Universal Design for Learning in Higher Education
- University of Washington UDL Website
- UDL Guidelines from CAST (Center for Applied Special Technology)
- Designing an Accessible Online Course
- Accessible Teaching in the Time of COVID-19 — Mapping Access
- Flower Darby and James M. Lang: Small Teaching Online: Applying Learning Science in Online Classes
- Dr. Jamie Washington, The Washington Consultant Group (“Context before content”)