Options for Scheduling Meetings
There are a variety of ways to schedule a Zoom meeting. Most meeting options are available regardless of the way you choose, so the best option largely depends on whichever method is easiest for you. If you already use Google Calendar, and aren’t scheduling for large classes, the Chrome extension might be most convenient. On the other hand, if you already use Moodle, and are primarily using Zoom for synchronous class meeting, using the Moodle integration might be better.
Scheduling with Moodle
- Go to https://moodle.macalester.edu/. Enter your username and password, if prompted.
- From the list of My Courses, click the Moodle course you’d like to schedule a meeting for, then click Turn editing on.
- Click Add an activity or resource. You’ll probably want to add it in the topmost section of your course — you’re creating a link to the entire schedule for all Zoom meetings for that class, not for an individual meeting. From the list of Activities, select Zoom Video Conference and click Add.
- Give the activity an Activity Name — again, something like “Zoom Schedule” will make it clear that there’s only this one link to follow for Zoom meetings. Then select if you want a Moodle grade book column associated with Zoom, which is useful if you want to integrate Zoom with your attendance. Then click Save and Display.
- This will take you to the Zoom scheduler and calendar, which is essentially an embedded version of the web portal. Click the blue Schedule a new meeting button on the top right.
- This will open a new page, from which you can enter in the details of your meeting, such as name, time, and date, and also enable more advanced settings such as registration.
- When you have entered in all of the meeting details, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save to schedule the meeting.
- After clicking Save, Zoom will take you to a new page, from which you can review the details of your meeting or link it to your calendar. If you want to start the meeting, click Start this Meeting on the right hand side of the page. If you want to edit the details of the meeting, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Edit this Meeting on the right hand side of the page. If you want to delete the meeting, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Delete this Meeting on the left hand side of the page.
- Once you’ve got a meeting scheduled, you’ll see it on the main scheduling page. You can start or delete the meeting here, too. If you only want to see course meetings, check that box. Students will only ever see their course meetings when Moodle is accessed this way. Here is what this schedule looks like for students:
- Once you’re back in your Moodle course, you can always click the same Zoom activity to get into the scheduler and either start or schedule a meeting.