When recording a Zoom meeting, you have have two options: save the recording to your computer, or to the cloud. For users at Macalester, the first option is the one you want to choose, as our Zoom cloud storage space is limited, and only meant for temporary use.
This guide is designed to help you move content off of the Zoom Cloud, if you, say, chose this option by accident, or needed the storage space temporarily. It walks you through downloading your recordings (and removing them) from the cloud, as well uploading them to Google Drive.
Downloading Zoom Recordings
- In your web browser, sign into the Zoom web portal at macalester.zoom.us using your usual Macalester username and password
- In the left nav menu, select Recordings
- In the list of Cloud Recordings that appears, each recording will have a More button next to it:
- Select Download
You’ll find the recording in in your browser-designated Downloads folder. Each recording will consist of two or three files: a video recording (.mp4), an audio-only recording (.m4a) and, if it’s enabled for your account, a transcript of the meeting (.vtt).
We suggest doing some basic organization of these files:
- Rename them so they’re easier to identify as you download them. By default, they’re named with the date and time of the meeting.
- Move them to a new folder – get them out of your downloads and into a more permanent home, e.g. a folder in Documents called “Zoom Recordings archive”
- Of the three files, the .mp4 video is the most important (you can delete the others if you’re sure you don’t need them.)
Repeat the above steps for each recording you’d like to save. (Unfortunately, there’s no bulk/batch download option.)
Once you’ve downloaded your recordings (or if you don’t need them after all), you can delete them from the More menu, too, or use the check boxes to the left of their names to delete them en masse.
Uploading to Google Drive
If you’d like to backup your recording(s) or don’t want them cluttering up your hard drive, we recommend uploading them to Google Drive. Each user in our Macalester organizational account has unlimited Google Drive storage capacity, so you don’t need to worry about running out of space.
- In your web browser, pull up Google Drive (you may need to log in)
- Using the left nav menu, select My Drive
- Select the New button above the left nav menu
- Select Folder upload (if you want to do an entire folder at once) or File upload (if you just want to do one recording)
- In the dialog box, select the recordings folder you downloaded or (e.g. Zoom Recordings Archive) or the individual recording and click Upload
- Once the progress indicator (which appears on the bottom right in Google Drive) finishes, you’re all set
You can also upload by dragging and dropping from your computer into the Google Drive window. It’s also easy to create new folders for organization of your recordings on Google Drive.
Optional: Sharing Your Recordings on Google Drive
One last important thing to note: you can easily share these recordings with others (your students, for example). To do so:
- In Google Drive, select the file or folder you wish to share.
- Right-click or Control-click the file or folder to open the context menu, and select the Share option.
- Type in the names of people you’d like to share it with. One trick to get all your students’ names here easily: copy and paste them from an email To: field, perhaps pulled from 1600grand.
- From the drop-down menu to right of their names, select the proper role — “Viewer” is usually the one you want for recordings.
- Enter an explanatory message in the field below to notify folks who you’ve share this with. (This will be sent in an email.)
- Click the blue Send button when you’re ready to share.
One workflow that might be easiest for faculty: make new folders for each class, so you can give students in it blanket permission for that class (and don’t need to share each file).